Wednesday, June 21, 2017

FLIPP the Switch and SOARR

In my quest to further develop my understanding of Executive Function (EF) disorders, I picked up FLIPP the Switch: Strengthen Executive Function Skills by Sheri Wilkins and Carol Burmeister. My pervious posting was about an EF workbook for teens (see here). Its target audience is higher functioning teen agers who can use it with little support. This book targets people with more significant challenges. Strategies include strong visual components that would be especially useful for people with ASD. They acknowledge that many people with disorders classified under the DSM and some physical medical concerns often show weaknesses in some EF skills, such as ADHD, ASD, TBI, Intellectual Disorders, SLD, and OCD. Critically, it is important that there is a range of EF skills and although there may be patterns of strength and weakness profiles, no two people have exactly the same skill set. Furthermore it is important to recognize that just because someone is weak in a skill area, it does not mean they cannot improve it or learn to effectively deal with it.

Wilkins and Burmeister group EF disorders in five categories: flexibility, leveled emotionality, impulse control, planning and problem solving. As Sarah Ward said years ago- it is not important how many categories you use, but how you address the problems.

One strategy from the Flexibility chapter that I found particularly interesting is called SOARR. Since I cannot find reference to it on Google, I believe they created it. Although they do not reference the work of Michelle Garcia Winner in this section, it pairs nicely with her social thinking framework. It also plays well with Sarah Ward's  STOP strategy (or see my post here):
  • Space – Where am I?
  • Time – What is happening now? Later?
  • Objects – How is the room organized?
  • People – What are the facial expressions/body language of the people?
There is a large recognition in all these approaches that expected social behaviors shift according to context. Without clearly understanding context, we cannot help people develop approaches to social success.

The text provides four concrete examples of the strategy for young people to use the strategy with vignettes describing the situation that led to the need for the strategy and a simple outcome of implementation of the strategy use. Below I have included a very slightly modified example of their template and a version of how I might have used it for my son's recent flight to visit relatives on the other coast. The book has the template in a landscape orientation that would probably work better because of the possible increase in writing space.

Specify
Observe
Analyze
Respond
Reflect
What is the situation/ specific context?
Example:
Ordering food and eating in a restaurant- what kind of restaurant
Participating in PE class
Attending a worship service
Joining a group in a general education class
What are other people doing in this situation?
How are they behaving?
What do I need to do to fit into this context?
What questions do I need to ask and answer in my head?
Example:
What is the noise level/volume?
Does the discussion/tone/mood seem fun or serious?
Is there a leader?
What is my role in this group and where do I fit in?
If I am unsure about something is there somebody I can approach with questions?
Based on my analysis, respond appropriately,
As I am responding, pay attention to how others are responding to me.
What happened?
What did I learn?
What can I do differently next time?

Blank SOARR template from Wilkins, S. and Burmeister, C. (2015) FLIPP the Switch: Strengthen Executive Function Skills, p. 49

Specify
Observe
Analyze
Respond
Reflect
What is the situation/ specific context?

What are other people doing in this situation?
How are they behaving?
What do I need to do to fit into this context?
What questions do I need to ask and answer in my head?

Based on my analysis, respond appropriately,
As I am responding, pay attention to how others are responding to me.
What happened?
What did I learn?
What can I do differently next time?
In line at the airport to go through security
People are standing in line, keeping their hands to themselves. Some are in groups that are a little closer together, but most groups are not talking to each other. People are using a quiet voice. When asked a question or given a direction by a uniformed person, people do what is asked of them.
People are waiting. I need to wait to move with the line. I should not talk to people I do not know unless they ask me a question. I need to use a quiet voice. If I need help there are people in uniforms I can ask questions.
Some people do not move along in their line as quickly as they can, but I keep my comments about that to myself. I wait patiently for my turn at the various spots before moving on through the terminal.
It was hard to wait patiently because not everyone moved as fast as I wanted them to. I need to have my paperwork and ID in an easy to access location so I do not hold up the line.




I think working within this framework, young people could learn to address social issues, but training in reflection, problem solving and forecasting human behavior would be an important part of an intervention. This book has me eager to read to learn more concrete strategies for helping young people learn to deal with their weaknesses in EF.

No comments:

Post a Comment